HP beats up Dell again in first quarter

first_imgHP also posted strong numbers in its lucrative Imaging and Printing Group, which makes the consumer and business printers and supplies that provide the bulk of the company’s profits. Operating profit for that business unit increased 10 percent over last year to $1.1 billion, or 15.3 percent of revenue. HP’s stock gained 36 cents to close at $43.13 on the New York Stock Exchange before the results were released. In after-hours trading, HP shares fell 56 cents to $42.57.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Analysts said the surging laptop sales indicated HP was making aggressive market-share gains at Dell’s expense in a fast-growing industry segment and has enough momentum to extend its expansion. “They clearly gained a lot of share. We were expecting strong results in PCs, but we didn’t expect them to be this strong,” said Shaw Wu, an analyst with American Technology Research. “They’re basically beating up Dell more and more, and there’s room for them to gain more share. From Dell’s perspective, that could be very scary.” The Palo Alto-based computer and printer maker reported earning $1.55 billion, or 55 cents per share, for the quarter that ended Jan. 31, compared with $1.23 billion, or 42 cents per share, for the same period last year. Revenue for the period was $25.1 billion, compared with $22.7 billion for the same quarter last year. HP snagged the title of the world’s No. 1 seller of PCs worldwide from Dell late last year and continued to profit from that momentum in the first quarter. SAN FRANCISCO – Hewlett-Packard Co. stole another major slice of the personal computer market from struggling rival Dell Inc. in the first quarter – and analysts said HP still has room to grow. But concerns about mounting inventory and some investors’ unrealized hope that the quarter would be even better sent HP shares down $1.41, or 3.3 percent, to $41.72 in morning trading Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange. After the market closed Tuesday, a spokesman said HP’s first-quarter profit jumped 26 percent as the company benefited from higher sales of laptop computers, printers and printing supplies during a robust holiday spending season. Its revenue from laptop sales jumped 40 percent in the quarter, compared with the same period a year ago. At the same time, revenue from desktop computer sales dropped 1 percent as portable counterparts become pervasive. last_img read more

Pediatricians say kids teens should avoid sports and energy drinks

first_imgTORONTO – Kids and teens should not drink sports or energy drinks, the Canadian Paediatric Society says in a new position released Tuesday that takes a stand against the sugary beverages.Dr. Catherine Pound, co-author of the statement and a pediatrician at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, says caffeinated energy drinks in particular can pose serious health risks and are unnecessary for most young people.“I wouldn’t recommend them for anybody that fits our target population, which is anyone between the ages of zero and 18,” said Pound, noting that one can of energy drink contains more caffeine than the regular type of brewed coffee.Too much can be deadly, as apparently was the case of a South Carolina teen who collapsed April 26 after downing an energy drink, a large pop and a cafe latte within a two-hour span.Davis Cripe had no pre-existing heart condition but likely died from a caffeine-induced heart arrhythmia, said the local coroner.The Canadian Paediatric Society had no official position on the use of energy and sports drinks at the time, however had suggested young non-athletes avoid them.It now explicitly makes the case against both caffeinated energy drinks and non-caffeinated sports drinks among youth, suggesting there are very few who would need such stimulants.“A lot of people believe they’re essential as part of rehydration for sports. But what we’re finding is actually they’re not — water is ideal for rehydration in sport,” said Pound, adding that doctors should routinely screen for their use.“Only in the very specific subset of the population will they be useful and that’s the population of children that will perform very vigorous activity for over an hour or in very hot and humid weather.”The other danger is mixing energy drinks with alcohol, said Pound, adding that those who do so tend to participate in high-risk behaviour such as illicit drug use.Caffeinated energy drinks claim to boost energy, reduce fatigue and improve concentration. The amount of caffeine typically exceeds Health Canada’s maximum daily intake for kids.Pound cautioned against side effects, which include difficulty sleeping, increased anxiety, heart rhythm abnormalities, vomiting and diarrhea.Sports drinks, which contain a mixture of sugars and electrolytes, are often marketed as fluid replacements during sports or vigorous physical activity.But statement co-author Becky Blair, a member of Dietitians of Canada, said these drinks contribute to obesity and dental cavities.“It’s just really an extra source of calories for children that they don’t need,” said Blair, who’d like to see legislation ban marketing of caffeinated energy drinks to adolescents, in addition to existing restrictions that protect children under the age of 12.“All they really need for hydration is just drinking water and eating a balanced diet.”The trade association representing companies that make and distribute most of Canada’s non-alcoholic beverages countered that its members are committed to guidelines that prevent marketing anything other than juice, milk and water to children.The Canadian Beverage Association also said sports drinks are not intended to replace water as a source of hydration and that its energy drink companies “are committed to responsibly manufacturing, marketing, and labelling energy drinks in full accordance with Health Canada’s requirements.”Nevertheless, Pound said it’s worth considering an even tougher stand against energy drinks, musing on the value of restricting use to adults, like alcohol: “I don’t think it would be a bad idea at all.”The American Academy of Pediatrics came out against kids and youth using energy drinks in 2011.last_img read more

30 Million for Water Harvesting projects in St Ann

first_img ALERT # 2 ON POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE NINE ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY THURSDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, 2019 AT 9 PM EDT Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Electricity Cost of Service Study among the big agenda items at September 11 Cabinet meeting Recommended for you Related Items:#magneticmedianews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppMontego Bay, Jamaica, February 13, 2017 – Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. J.C. Hutchinson, says the Government has committed $30 million for the implementation of five water harvesting projects in St. Ann.This is being done to combat drought and other problems resulting from climate change, the Minister said as he addressed the Hinds Town/Orange Park Farmers Group Meeting in Hinds Town, St. Ann, on February 8.  “As we all know, farming is the main source of income for people who reside in rural communities.  Unfortunately, climate change has resulted in us experiencing extreme weather events, such as droughts, storms and hurricanes.  This, in the past, has resulted in the loss of income, property and lives,” the Minister noted.Mr. Hutchinson said that in recognition of the impact of climate variability and climate change, the Ministry, through the Adaptation Fund Programme, has embarked on a deliberate strategy to facilitate investments in alternative water harvesting and management methods, such as the establishment of rainwater harvesting and gravity drip irrigation systems.The Ministry, he added, will provide training in efficient water use and climate change adaptation techniques to improve soil moisture retention and disaster risk management.  “Through this programme, we aim to enhance climate resilience of the agricultural sector by improving water and land management in selected rural communities in the parishes of Manchester, Trelawny, St. Mary, St. Catherine, Clarendon, and St. Ann, which face the greatest level of risk,” Mr. Hutchinson explained.The Minister implored the farmers to be “climate smart,” adding that they should apply new measures and techniques to protect farms and livelihoods from climate change.  “There are many benefits to be derived from implementing these systems.  For example, construction of catchment areas leads to increased storage and a reduction in the level of run-off, thus mitigating flooding while producing a source of irrigation to ensure crop productivity, even in dry periods.  Important also, with adequate water supply, your crops will be less susceptible to pest infestation and diseases,” he said.The Minister told the farmers that he is particularly heartened that in the water-starved Hinds Town, work is in progress to construct a much-needed one million gallon reservoir for water harvesting.  “This reservoir will be complemented by on-farm drip irrigation systems, subject to the capacity that the reservoir will be able to sustain,” he pointed out.Other communities in which water harvesting projects are being undertaken in this parish are McNie and Frank Hall, where phase one has already been completed, and phase two will commence shortly. Similar projects will also be carried out in Walkers Wood and Blackstone Edge, the Minister said.Mr. Hutchinson informed the farmers that the sustainability of the projects depended wholly on their participation in the training that is being provided in proper land husbandry and water management.  “I encourage you to make good of this opportunity, thus ensuring the viability of your crops,” he added. The Luxury of Grace Bay in Down Town Provolast_img read more

Police talk about Newman case and more says they need more information

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, June 26, 2017 – Providenciales – Police say the men featured on four wanted posters dispatched to media and the general public following the shooting of an American tourist on Friday are not necessarily linked to the crime.Acting Commissioner of Police Trevor Botting, stated that “the tentative shooting of Mr. Newman is nothing to directly link those people to that specific crime. They are wanted, as you can see from the wanted posters, for a number of offenses but we’re keeping a very open mind as to which they may be ultimately responsible for.”The men are just wanted for the litany of crimes listed on the posters, and while they may be linked to the shooting of Kevin Newman of Alabama, who is now in serious but stable condition at a Florida hospital, there is no evidence as yet linking them to the serious attack. Magnetic Media had a one on one with Acting Police Commissioner, Trevor Botting today who also revealed that TCI Police still need to interview Mr. Newman who was in no shape to give information in the case before he was airlifted to Broward Health.“And certainly when Mr. Newman is fit, medically fit- his recovery is a priority for us a the moment -but as soon as he is, we will look to speak to him and we’ll be doing that personally at some point in the future.” he added.Police say they remain in touch with the family and that residents need not feel as if this crime is more important than community cases nor do they need to feel as if police are not doing their best to find who is responsible.“We’re not getting as much as I would like and that’s not to say we haven’t had any already but you obviously don’t know the details of that. But please please just tell us anything, even if you think we know already.”Police are getting some information, but Acting Commissioner Botting told us he could do with more information directed to his investigators. As for how this case is classified… Mr. Botting said, “The actual face of the case will depend on the investigation. So this morning’s press release, I spoke to a serious assault, cause that’s actually what it is. Whether it’s an attempted murder, whether it be a manslaughter, that classification really comes towards the end of the investigation when we have more information about what actually occurred.” ALERT # 2 ON POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE NINE ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY THURSDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, 2019 AT 9 PM EDT Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Electricity Cost of Service Study among the big agenda items at September 11 Cabinet meeting Recommended for you Related Items:#magneticmedianews The Luxury of Grace Bay in Down Town Provolast_img read more

Police involved shooting in Lewis Yard details scant

first_img Grand Bahama is future Caribbean silicon valley, Govt tells Diplomats Bahamas, September 6th, 2017 – Grand Bahama – A police involved shooting overnight in Grand Bahama is with very limited details at this hour, but it was said relatives arrived at the scene in Lewis Yard to find the area cordoned off and their male family member dead.   The young man is said to be in his 30s and family was last night trying to find out what led to the shooting.  There is no reply to our queries on the shooting either up to news publication time.By Deandrea Hamilton Bahamas Govt bids to buy Lucayan Strip resorts, PM Minnis tours site Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for youcenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#LewisYard, #magneticmedianews, grandbahama, shooting TCI Police Investigate shooting in Providenciales; two escape injurylast_img read more

Steele praises Brighton teammates

first_imgAccording to the goalkeeper, the 3-1 victory over AFC Bournemouth was thanks to the defensive determination of his teammates.Brighton and Hove Albion defeated AFC Bournemouth 3-1 on Saturday’s FA Cup Third Round match.The Seagulls advance to the next round, while goalkeeper Jason Steele was able to praise his teammates for their good work.“It’s no disrespect to anyone I’ve played with before, but the way those players in front of me work and their dedication to not let the ball go in the back of the net is unbelievable,” he told the club’s official website.“We were under the cosh a lot in terms of ball possession, and the boys stuck at it with the two center-halves and the full-backs stopping the crosses and picking up men.”Brad Smith is loving his time at MLS Manuel R. Medina – August 27, 2019 Smith has been loaned from AFC Bournemouth to Seattle Sounders for a whole season, and the Australian footballer is enjoying his time there.“Even the little things like the way they marked their men so tightly meant I could come out and claim things,” he added.“Personally, I was very excited to play again. This club has given me an awful lot in the last few months and I just wanted to show why I’ve been working hard. Thankfully it worked out for myself and the team today.”“I made a couple of saves, I’m disappointed I conceded a goal, but I haven’t watched it back and I don’t think there’s a lot I could have done about it,” he explained.“It was a good strike and I felt that it was going to take something good to beat me. That’s a nice positive frame of mind to have and it’s not something I’ve had for a long time.”last_img read more