With the exception of former USC standout Kevin Stadler, who shot a 4-under 67, players with local ties didn’t fare well in the opening round. Corey Pavin (UCLA) was tied for 72nd at 1-over 72. Tom Lehman (former Wood Ranch pro) was tied for 88th at 73. Former UCLA standouts John Merrick (74) and Duffy Waldorf (75) were tied for 99th and 117th, respectively. Jason Gore (Pepperdine) and David Berganio Jr. (Granada Hills) were tied for 113th after shooting 6-over 77s. Staff writer Gene Warnick contributed to this report. firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3615 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! As Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els and Vaughn Taylor were waiting to tee off on the par-3 sixth hole, something happened to disturb a gigantic bee hive. Hundreds of bees swarmed the fairway and fans scrambled for protection. After the trio teed off, Mickelson and Els calmly walked down the fairway while Taylor tried to high-step his way around the bees. said he was aware of the problem and a maintenance crew was dispatched to spray the area. Ortega said Riviera usually doesn’t have a problem with bees since the weather often is rainy and cold. Ortega had a strange way of trying to ensure it wouldn’t rain this year. “I did a lot of praying and dancing to get good weather,” he said. There’s no chance of rain in the forecast through Sunday’s final round. Mike Ortega, the Nissan’s tournament chairman, PACIFIC PALISADES – Greg McLaughlin, the president of the Tiger Woods Foundation, denied a report that Tiger Woods skipped the Nissan Open because he wanted to move his tournament, the Target World Challenge, from December to November in a battle with PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem. The Daily Mail of London reported such a move was causing friction and might be a reason Woods missed the season-opening Mercedes-Benz Championship and the Nissan. “We’ve never discussed having the tournament in November with the PGA Tour,” McLaughlin said Thursday. “We’ve had the tournament the first or second week in December since the very beginning. We’ve been pleased because we’ve had great success with that. Last year we had the best attendance yet, and we’re pleased with the dates. We’ve never had any discussions about that.” Woods has not made a public statement about why he decided to pass on the Nissan Open for only the second time in his pro career. Thus, speculation has been rampant about why he didn’t play at this week’s Nissan, where he was given his first sponsor exemption as a 16-year-old.
(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0 Stunning admissions show that secular astronomers can’t keep Saturn’s moons billions of years old.Elizabeth Howell printed the shocking headline on Space.com: “Saturn’s Moons and Rings May Be Younger Than the Dinosaurs,” based on modeling done by the SETI Institute. David Rothery on The Conversation echoed the refrain, adding, “So could life really exist there?” His answer is maybe; more about this below.Really, though, why the change in thinking? The SETI Institute press release explains:New research suggests that some of Saturn’s icy moons, as well as its famous rings, might be modern adornments. Their dramatic birth may have taken place a mere hundred million years ago, more recent than the reign of many dinosaurs.“Moons are always changing their orbits. That’s inevitable,” says Matija Cuk, principal investigator at the SETI Institute. “But that fact allows us to use computer simulations to tease out the history of Saturn’s inner moons. Doing so, we find that they were most likely born during the most recent two percent of the planet’s history.”While Saturn’s rings have been known since the 1600s, there’s still debate about their age. The straightforward assumption is that they are primordial – as old as the planet itself, which is more than four billion years. However, in 2012, French astronomers found that tidal effects – the gravitational interaction of the inner moons with fluids deep in Saturn’s interior – are causing them to spiral to larger orbital radii comparatively quickly. The implication, given their present positions, is that these moons, and presumably the rings, are recent phenomena.The new estimates do not apply to the more distant moons like Titan and Iapetus. But to keep the inner moons so close to Saturn, especially the smaller ones and the rings, they can’t have survived tidal effects and resonances since the assumed age of Saturn (4.5 billion years). The results are published in the Astrophysical Journal (subscription required; see preprint on arXiv). The press release explains the assumptions behind the model:To get a more specific value for the ages of these moons, Cuk used ice geysers on Saturn’s moon Enceladus. The researchers assumed that the energy powering those geysers comes from tidal interactions with Saturn and that the level of geothermal activity on Enceladus has been constant, and from there, inferred the strength of the tidal forces from Saturn.Using the computer simulations, the researchers concluded that Enceladus would have moved from its original orbital position to its current one in just 100 million years — meaning it likely formed during the Cretaceous period. The larger implication is that the inner moons of Saturn and its gorgeous rings are all relatively young.That’s one way to explain the Enceladus geysers; reduce their age. The authors seem to realize that Enceladus couldn’t be blowing chunks for billions of years. But how are they going to keep the rest of the Saturn system old? Here’s where a little imagination works wonders:“So the question arises, what caused the recent birth of the inner moons?” asks Cuk. “Our best guess is that Saturn had a similar collection of moons before, but their orbits were disturbed by a special kind of orbital resonance involving Saturn’s motion around the Sun. Eventually, the orbits of neighboring moons crossed, and these objects collided. From this rubble, the present set of moons and rings formed.”If this result is correct, Saturn’s bright rings may be younger than the heyday of the dinosaurs, and we are fortunate to witness them today.Others aren’t so willing to invoke ad hoc circumstances to make Enceladus young. Edwin Kite and Allan Rubin published a new theory in PNAS about tidal resonances keeping the cracks open down to the moon’s presumed subsurface ocean. Science Daily describes how Kite and Rubin claim to have found the “sweet spot” between tidal forces:“It’s a puzzle to explain why the fissure system doesn’t clog up with its own frost,” Kite said. “And it’s a puzzle to explain why the energy removed from the water table by evaporative cooling doesn’t just ice things over.“What’s needed is an energy source to balance the evaporative cooling. “We think the energy source is a new mechanism of tidal dissipation that had not been previously considered,” Kite said.It’s a finely balanced Goldilocks situation, Elizabeth Howell writes for Space.com:The new model suggests that deep vertical “slots” may be located between the icy surface of Enceladus and the water below. If the slots were wide, the eruptions would happen very soon after the tidal force goes into effect, the researchers say. If the slots were narrow, the tidal forcing would take longer. The observed delay of 5 hours comes from a size of slot that is somewhere in between, the scientists said.“In between, there’s a sweet spot,” Kite said.The paper claims this could keep the geysers going over “geological timescales.” Atheist imaging scientist and ring expert Carolyn Porco seems to like this theory, according to NASA’s Astrobiology Magazine. But when you read the paper looking for how long those timescales are, they only mention “million-year timescales,” not billions. A million years is only 1/4,500th the assumed age of the solar system (A.S.S.). None of them explain that. They do, however, want to keep Enceladus active long enough to give life a chance:The sustainability of water eruptions on Enceladus affects the moon’s habitability (e.g., ref. 16), as well as astrobiology (follow-up missions to Enceladus could be stymied if the plumes shut down).David Rothery’s worldview is showing on The Conversation in his reaction to the youth of Saturn’s moons. If Enceladus is so young, he speculates, would there be time for life to evolve there?I think it is still worth looking. Scientists have found hints that some kind of life could have existed on Earth 4.1 billion years ago – when the planet was very young. What’s more, if Enceladus really does date back only to the Cretaceous era and were found to have its own life already, then this would make life throughout the cosmos even more likely.Titan has been in the news a lot recently. We’ll report on the latest findings in a coming post.The answer to “Are Saturn’s Moons Younger than the Dinosaurs?” is no; they’re both the same age, because they were created not that long ago. The dinosaurs just kicked the bucket sooner. Saturn’s moons cannot last billions of years, or even millions; in time, they will go extinct, too.It is flagrantly obvious that no amount of evidence can shake the secularists off their unfeigned devotion to moyboy timescales. Here’s a geysering moon they know cannot keep pumping water out its south pole for billions of years. So what do they do? They either ignore it, distract attention to whether life exists in the water there (hydrobioscopy), or invent new scenarios where old moons crack up and new ones form (post hoc, begging the question). The storytelling will continue until the Temple of Darwin collapses and, with it, secularism’s utter dependence on billions of years. Creationists are not so encumbered.
7 June 2007The goverment is finalising a greenhouse gas inventory which will inform South Africa’s first ever long-term national climate policy.“This process will outline the range of ambitious but realistic scenarios of future climate action, notably long-term emissions scenarios and their cost implications,” Tourism Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk told the National Assembly in Cape Town this week.The policy is expected to be published in 2008/09.Delivering his department’s budget vote, Van Schalkwyk said the policy recognised the need for integrated government planning, which was currently being carried out through a body called the national climate change committee.He added that various national departments, provinces and cities were refining their plans in line with the national climate change strategy, which would eventually culminate in a national adaptation plan.According to Van Schalkwyk, nature-based tourism and wildlife were cited as key attractions by about 30% of South Africa’s international visitors.“With tourism contributing just over 8% to our GDP [gross domestic product], the economic impact of climate change on tourism could be very large indeed,” he said.“Globally, by mid-century, 20% to 30% of plant and animal species are likely to be at increased risk of extinction as a result of climate change.”The intergovernmental panel of climate change has also indicated that between 25% and 40% of animal species in national parks in sub-Saharan Africa would become threatened.“South African fynbos and the succulent Karoo ecosystem seem particularly vulnerable, and for a mean global temperature increase of between 2º and 3ºC during this century, we stand to lose between 50% and 65% of our unique fynbos,” Van Schalkwyk said.“In order to conserve our magnificent heritage and key environmental assets, and ensure that these are passed on intact to the children and grandchildren of our nation, and indeed the world, we have to recognise that our knowledge base is incomplete.”He added that his department would focus on enhancing research on the impacts of climate change on key environmental assets and biodiversity management on land and in oceans.This would in turn inform ecosystem planning, biodiversity management, the management of marine resources, park management and climate change adaptive plans.Source: BuaNews
Expelled Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) leader Naseemuddin Siddiqui floated a new outfit called the Rashtriya Bahujan Morcha on Saturday.While Mr. Siddiqui is the convenor of the front, Brahma Swarup Sagar and O. P. Singh are the co-convenors.Mr. Siddiqui and his supporters decided to float the new outfit at a time when there was a “concerted move by vested interests to serve their personal motives,” stated a release issued by the Morcha, adding that the outfit would work towards providing a new political alternative.“It would work towards providing political and social representation to all sections of society, and establishing amity and brotherhood,” the release said.When contacted, Mr. Singh said more people from the BSP are expected to join the outfit soon. A public contact programme would also be launched for the party in future, he added.Mr. Siddiqui, the Muslim face of the BSP, was expelled from the party on May 10 for “anti-party” activities, prompting him to hit back at BSP supremo Mayawati.He came out with audio tapes of his alleged conversation with the BSP chief to support the allegation that he was asked for money. “Whatever charges have been levelled against me, applies to her [Ms. Mayawati]. I can prove it with evidence,” he had said.Mr. Siddiqui claimed to have over 150 audio clippings of Ms. Mayawati but desisted from releasing them saying he would strike back only when the BSP initiated the attack.He had also held Ms. Mayawati’s “wrong policies” responsible for the BSP’s poor performance in the 2009, 2014 Lok Sabha elections and 2012, 2017 UP Assembly polls.He alleged that the BSP chief had levelled “false and misleading” allegations against Muslims and also made objectionable comments against them, especially during the 2017 elections. Mr. Siddiqui alleged that Ms. Mayawati had used abusive language against the upper castes, the backwards classes and the Muslims.Mr. Siddiqui, who hails from Banda, was removed as party in-charge of Uttar Pradesh and was appointed as the MP unit in-charge after the Assembly poll debacle.
Nagpur: The Congress performance in the Gujarat elections seems to have instilled new-found confidence among the main opposition parties in Maharashtra — the Congress and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) — and MLAs of both parties will hold a press conference on Tuesday seeking formal announcement of a Congress-NCP alliance for the 2019 Assembly polls.Early announcement“The results have shown that both parties coming together will give the BJP a run for its money. The announcement of official alliance should be made at the earliest and that demand will be raised jointly by Congress and NCP MLAs on Tuesday,” a senior Congress leader said on condition of anonymity. Another Congress MLA, privy to the plan, said the Gujarat Assembly results have shown that BJP can be challenged and the discontent among people need to be channelised in a right manner if we want to win. “For this, a joint front has to start working from today itself which will instil confidence among the voters as well,” the MLA said.NCP leader Ajit Pawar said he was not aware of any such conference planned by his party MLAs. “Let the demand be made first, we will reply later,” he said.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
BCCI has called for a working committee meeting on the 26th of SeptemberBCCI has called for a working committee meeting on the 26th of September, precisely the time the AGM of the board is annually held. This effectively means the BCCI elections will not be held this year in September, a decision to which effect will be taken in the working committee.At least that’s the plan of the ruling Srinivasan faction of the BCCI which looks at the postponement as the first step towards protecting his right to be re-elected BCCI President. The decision was taken at an informal meet in Chennai. But there may be more legal battles ahead with Aditya Verma, secretary of unrecognized Cricket Associaton of Bihar threatening to move Supreme Court next week, challenging the BCCI’s move to defer the AGM for one man.If elections were indeed held in September, now ICC Chairman, Srinivasan would have been unable to contest with the Supreme Court asking him to stay away until Justice Mudgal committee gives him a clean chit. The submission of the final report may still be two months away.Aditya Verma, the face of fight against Srinivasan, going to court is unsurprising, but a few of the heavy weights in the rival camp are playing their cards close to their chest.While CAB was represented in the informal meeting, President Jagmohan Dalmiya did not attend it himself. Rajiv Shukla, the perennial fence sitter, attended the meet over telecom but claims he was a mere spectator. Former BCCI President Shashank Manohar who still decides VCA’s vote, was the man who attempted a failed rebellion, this April and his position is publicly known. But all of this opposition will turn into a hurdle for the power centre only if they walk the talk.advertisementInterestingly, in Sunday’s informal meet, which was supposed to be a show of strength for Srinivasan, neither Dalmiya nor Shukla did anything to spoil their numbers. Whether Arun Jaitley, Modi government’s central man has a contrary legal view to the decision to postpone the AGM could also be crucial.History suggests they could all decide to bank on Verma to fight their case in the Apex court and see what stand the honourable court takes. Either way, it’s up to the judiciary now to decide if Srinivasan can again have the last laugh in the sullied world of BCCI politics.