China defends Wuhan pool party after viral video prompts outrage

first_imgA massive pool party attended by thousands of people at the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic showed how well China had dealt with disease, authorities insisted Thursday, despite images from the event prompting outrage around the world.Pictures and video of the weekend electronic music party in Wuhan — where COVID-19 first emerged in December 2019 — have gone viral, attracting a huge negative response in places where lockdowns are still in effect.The headline “Life’s a beach in Wuhan as world pays virus price” — splashed across the front page of Australia’s Daily Telegraph — was typical of some mainstream news headlines, while comments on social media sites were more colorfully frank. Topics : Under fire But China said Thursday the pool party showed the city’s “strategic victory” against the outbreak, and said the images were proof the country’s approach to controlling the virus had been successful.”I saw relevant reports by AFP, and it is said that people in Europe and America were very shocked,” foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a press briefing.”This shows that Wuhan has won a strategic victory in its fight against the epidemic,” he said.China has come under fire from around the world since the outbreak of the virus, which has infected over 22 million people and killed nearly 800,000.Beijing has denied US accusations that China covered up the initial outbreak and handled it badly.Zhao called on the media to “report the real situation in China” so people abroad could understand the country’s fight against the epidemic.Wuhan has not reported any new virus cases in months after undergoing a draconian lockdown and strict restrictions earlier this year.center_img China’s nationalist Global Times newspaper hit back against what it called “sour grapes” abroad.AFP’s video of the event has been viewed more than 16 million times since it was posted.One Twitter user called the event “incredibly irresponsible”, while another suggested there was “no way” it would not lead to more cases of coronavirus.last_img read more

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain sends message to Arsenal fans after beating Spurs in Champions League final

first_img Read More PLAY by Metro Comment Video Settings The midfielder knew beating Spurs was just as important in the red half of north London (Picture: Getty)Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain says he had extra motivation to win the Champions League final so he could get one over former club Arsenal’s rivals Tottenham and deny them European glory.The 25-year-old, who has been sidelined with injury for much of the season, was an unused substitute as Liverpool secured a 2-0 victory in Madrid on Saturday night to seal their sixth European Cup success.Goals from Mohamed Salah and Divock Origi sealed the win for the Merseysiders, and Oxlade-Chamberlain wanted to win the title as much for his current club as his old one.Speaking to his former skipper Per Mertesacker on DAZN after the game, Oxlade-Chamberlain said: ‘As former Gooners, we know what that one meant to all the Arsenal fans out there.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE ‘It was massive for us at Liverpool, but “Once a Gooner always a Gooner” that’s what they say.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘I had a personal sort of feeling in that game that we needed to get that done for all the people I left at Arsenal, I know they were all willing us on to win that one so I’m happy that we could do it.’This time last year, Oxlade-Chamberlain was cutting a forlorn figure in Kiev hobbling around on crutches, but was able to enjoy the celebrations in Madrid with Little Mix girlfriend Perrie Edwards this time around. Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling Read More Skip Top articles Manchester United captain Harry Maguire About Connatix V67539 Read More Full Screen 1/1 Metro Sport ReporterSunday 2 Jun 2019 4:20 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.4kShares 1 min. story Skip Ad Read More / Oxlade-Chamberlain was loving every second after Liverpool’s win (Picture: Reuters)Speaking about the win, manager Jurgen Klopp said: ‘Did you ever see a team like this, fighting with no fuel in the tank? I am so happy for the boys, all these people and my family.‘They suffer for me, they deserve it more than anybody. It was an intense season with the most beautiful finish I ever could have imagined.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Coming Next Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain sends message to Arsenal fans after beating Spurs in Champions League final Read More SPONSORED Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Franklin County Health Officer orders ORV park closed

first_imgPhotos by Dennis Brown and Bridget HayesLaurel, IN—Saturday afternoon, Franklin County Health Officer Doctor Darrell Brimhall secured an order to officially close Haspin Acres off-road vehicle park.  Officials have spent several days researching legal precedent and current case law to ensure legal standards were met and followed in securing the order.During this time, Franklin County Commissioner Tom Linkel spoke with representatives of Haspin Acres by telephone.  Friday morning, Commissioner Linkel spoke with the manager of Haspin Acres, asking their cooperation in placing voluntary restrictions to the park.  However, the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department received numerous complaints regarding traffic being backed up in the area of the park.According to The Observer, the fiasco started last when some of Franklin County’s volunteer first responders filed a complaint about Haspin Acres being open. The first responders are already coping with a hot spot of coronavirus in this county, which has 50 cases and 6 deaths in a small rural county of only 23,000 people. The first responders worried that they would be called to Haspin Acres, as has happened in the past, and they would not be available to serve county residents. First responders indicated that they could be cited for “neglect of duty,” if they failed to respond to a call from Haspin Acres.Last Monday, Franklin County officials issued a release stating per the Governor’s order, Haspin Park, a recreation area, was permitted to stay open like the State Parks. Friday night, April 3, Air Care was called to Haspin Acres, which has been confirmed by Franklin County E911 to transport a female that had rolled a jeep.The small town of Laurel, Indiana, which has one main road through town had a traffic jam this Saturday morning, April 4, 2020. Trucks coming from Ohio and pulling flatbed trailers with dune buggies and dirt bikes were lined up through Laurel to go to Haspin Acres. Sheriff deputies were dispatched to Laurel to clear the traffic jam and make room for emergency vehicles to reach Laurel, if needed.According to officials, there is no timeline when Haspin Acres will be allowed to reopen.Franklin County Sheriff’s Deputies spent several hours clearing traffic and educating visitors on the importance of following their respective state’s “Stay-at-Home” orders.  No charges have been filed at this time.  Should the park be found in violation of the Health Officer’s order, park officials could face a class B misdemeanor.  Class B misdemeanors are punishable by up to 180 days in jail and up to $1,000 in fines if a person is convicted.last_img read more