Grenada’s Taplin runs world lead in quarter mile

first_imgGrenada’s Bralon Taplin and Gayon Evans of Jamaica were among the medal winners from the Caribbean at the IAAF World Indoor Tour’s Copernicus Cup Meeting in Torun, Poland, recently.Taplin, won the 400 metres in a world leading 45.59 seconds. Polish runnerPavel Maslack took silver in 45.80 while Dominica’s Luguelin Santos was third in 46.03.Jamaica’s Gayon Evans was in good form coming into the meet. She won in Germany last Saturday in a personal best, 7.14 over the women’s 60 metres and then on Wednesday, won in Paris in 7.17.Evans..finished third in the 60 metres sprinmtOn Friday, it took a world-leading time of 7.13 from the USA’s Barbara Pierre, the 2016 World Indoor Champion, and Ezinne Okparaebo, to get the better of Evans.However, the photo-finish image gave Pierre the win by two-thousandths of a second.Evans closed well to take third in 7.15.Former Jamaican sprinter Andrew Fisher had to settle for fourth in the 60-metre sprint. Fisher, who now represents Bahrain, was timed in 6.60 behind winner Ronnie Baker of the United States, who won in a world-leading 6.46.Chijindu Ujah was second in 6.56 with Sean Antwi-Safo, third in 6.57.last_img read more

More than 78,000 to vote in Grenada’s upcoming election

first_imgThe Parliamentary Elections Office (PEO) in Grenada, says more than 78,000 people have been included in the final voters’ list to be used in the March 13 general election.Names of the dead removedPEO Civic and Education officer, Ferdinand Phillip, said the names of 122 dead people had been removed from the list.“These were persons who were on the list and has since died and all the relevant information was presented to us to remove the names,” said Phillip.According to the PEO, the consolidated list, which was published after the final date of registration had 78,343 names, but the final consolidated list for the March 13th general election which was made public as of February 27, contains 78,221 names.Phillip said he was urging all persons to ensure that their names are on the voters list.Addendum list may be printed“If that person cannot find his or her name on the list and it can be proven that this person went through the process, an addendum will be printed and the candidates for constituencies affected will be informed accordingly,” he explained.Last week, 45 candidates representing five political parties and three independent candidates were nominated to contest the election.Political observers say the contest is a straight fight between the ruling New National Party (NNP) headed by Prime Minister Dr. Keith Mitchell and the National Democratic Congress (NDC), that is seeking to return to office after it was trounced 15-nil in the 2013 poll.Former finance minister Nazim Burke is leading the NDC for the first time into a general election having replaced former prime minister Tillman Thomas.last_img read more

PM Gonsalves on official visit to Cuba

first_imgPrime Minister of Saint Vincent and The Grenadines, the Hon. Ralph Gonsalves. The Prime Minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves is in Cuba where he is meeting with the authorities here during an official visit the island.According to media reports, Gonsalves was scheduled to arrive in the Spanish speaking Caribbean island on Thursday. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, while not revealing details, said Gonsalves would carry out other activities in Havana.The Prime Minister has made several visits to Cuba, within the framework of good relations between the two countries, members of the integrationist bloc Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (ALBA).Diplomatic relations between Cuba and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines were established in 1992.last_img read more

CARICOM delegation to hold talks with US on Venezuela situation

first_imgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – A Caribbean Community (CARICOM) delegation will meet with the United States Secretary of State, Michael R. Pompeo on Wednesday for talks aimed at reaching a settlement on the ongoing economic and political situation in Venezuela, Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley has said.Rowley, who attended the 30th CARICOM Inter-sessional summit in St. Kitts-Nevis earlier this week, said the regional leaders had received communication from Washington acceding to their request for a meeting on the issue.Led by Dr. Timothy HarrisThe CARICOM diplomatic team is led by its chairman and St. Kitts-Nevis Prime Ministe Dr. Timothy Harris and includes the Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley, Rowley and the CARICOM Secretary general, Irwin La Rocque.CARICOM has maintained its position of non-interference in the internal affairs of the South American country where Opposition Leader Juan Guaido, who has declared himself interim president, is leading the effort to remove President Nicolas Maduro from office.While Guadio has the backing of the United States and several other Western countries, Maduro, who was sworn in January, is backed by Russia, China, Cuba and several others.Seeks mediating roleCARICOM has been seeking to play a mediating role in the conflict and said they were concerned that the escalation of the situation is increasing the hardship and suffering of the population exacerbated by the imposition of sanctions” mainly by Washington.Rowley reiterated the position of the regional leaders at their summit in Bassterre where they said “the people of Venezuela must be allowed to decide their own future in accordance with the principles of the United Nations Charter – non-intervention, non-interference, prohibition of the threat or use of force, respect for the rule of law, human rights and democracy.“As CARICOM has ceaselessly advocated, for this objective to be attained, there has to be a meaningful and internal dialogue between the contending parties,” the communique noted.Rowley said that CARICOM backs the Montevideo Mechanism that was outlined in Uruguay in response to the call by the United Nations Secretary General, Antonio Guterres, to find a pathway to a peaceful resolution through dialogue and from a position of respect for International Law and Human Rights.Last month, Harris said that the Mechanism presents “the only objective mechanism” to address the complex political situation in Venezuela and that it is the only initiative available for international actors “who want to see peace in Venezuela.last_img read more

Last call and all aboard for the Love and Harmony Cruise

first_imgThe Love and Harmony cruise has just the right flavor to turn experienced cruisers and first-timers alike into repeat attendees. Thanks to its perfect blend of entertainment, fun, fine food and luxurious accommodations, the journey lives up to its name in every way. This year’s cruise, once again featuring legendary reggae crooner Beres Hammond, will include R&B group The Manhattans, Barrington Levy, Romain Virgo, Oliver Samuels, Cocoa Tea, Ity and Fancy Cat and more.Soca stars Denise Belfon and Destra Garcia have also been added to the lineup, bringing their sizzling lyrics and all manner of bacchanalia to the high seas for International Flag Night.Related: Beres Hammond meets the Manhattans aboard the Love & Harmony Cruise 2019It’s a nonstop partyDeparting from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale aboard the Celebrity Infinity, this year’s Love and Harmony Cruise will port in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. To ensure that the party continues both on- and off-shore entertainment, Johnny P., Tiger and Admiral Bailey will perform at a beach concert in Ocho Rios, while cruise attendees will enjoy an exclusive beach party on powder-soft sands in Grand Cayman.For a full list of activities, or to register, visit www.loveandharmonycruise.com.last_img read more

Third World Releases 22nd Album ‘More Work To Be Done’

first_imgKINGSTON, Jamaica –  Reggae band and grammy-award winning group Third World on Friday released their 22nd studio album dubbed More Work to be Done.The album is produced by Grammy-winning artiste and producer Damian ‘Jr Gong’ Marley, and features collaborations with Marley himself, Tessanne Chin, Chronixx, Tarrus Riley, Busy Signal and Pressure Busspipe.More work to be Done has 11 tracks and is available on CD, cassette tape, vinyl and online digital platforms.The six-member reggae band, who is celebrating 45 years in the industry, made its debut in 1975 as an opening act for the Bob Marley & the Wailer’s World Tour.Their four-decade career has seen them earning 10 Grammy nominations and multiple charted hits including Now That We’ve Found Love, Try Jah Love and 96 Degrees in the Shade.The album is the group’s first recorded project since the death of their former lead singer Bunny Rugs in 2014. Members of the group have praised the current lead singer A.J. Brown, who ‘was good enough to step in when Rugs passed’.The launch event for the project took place at the Bob Marley Museum and attracted a number of industry players and peers who applauded Third World for wanting to keep the flame burning.last_img read more

Haiti Records More Than 2,000 cases of COVID-19

first_imgPORT AU PRINCE, Haiti – Haiti recorded more than 250 cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) on two consecutive days as the number of positive cases in the (CARICOM) country climbed to 2, 124, health authorities confirmed Monday. It said 59.8 per cent of the cases were men and that the number of active cases is now 2.056 while the number of suspected cases has been 5,244. The Ministry of Public Health said that Haiti had recorded 281 and 259 cases of the virus over the past 48 hours with men accounting for the most cases. The Ministry of Public Health also announced that three people in the west, north and the capital died as a result of contracting the virus, bringing the total to 44 since the first case was detected on March 19. The authorities said that the 364 people have been hospitalised as a result of the virus, while 1,395 are in quarantine at home.center_img The World Health Organization (WHO) Monday said that the virus, which was first detected in China last December has so far killed 372,000 and infected another 6.5 million worldwide. Haiti has the most number of cases in the CARICOM region, followed by Jamaica with 586 cases with nine deaths. CMClast_img read more

‘Failings of 888 shouldn’t undermine the importance of self-exclusion schemes’ pleads The Senet Group

first_img 888 focuses on bolstering safer gambling measures amid COVID-19 crisis March 24, 2020 Submit Share StumbleUpon Related Articles Share Industry watchdog, The Senet Group has argued that the failings of 888 shouldn’t undermine the importance of self-exclusion schemes as a way of preventing or managing problem gambling.The London-based independent body provides a self-exclusion scheme that covers all British bookmakers and allows a person to exclude themselves from multiple locations with a single call to the team.Senet states that thereafter the primary duty to honour the exclusion rests with the individual. Adding that bookmakers are expected to do all they can to support these decisions to self-exclude, including intervening if someone who has self-excluded seeks to enter the premises and gamble.Senet has announced it understands the 888 finding is specific to that online company and its company-specific self-exclusion arrangements. The Gambling Commission found what they describe as “significant flaws” in the processes. The decision to impose a fine and to require repayments was a decision of the Commission and tied to what they found with 888.Wanda Goldwag, chair of The Senet Group said: “The Senet Group has had responsibility for the retail bookmaker multi-operator self-exclusion scheme (MOSES) for a year. The retail scheme covers over 8,000 individual premises and relies on the commitment of those who register and the best endeavors of shop staff across the land. Alongside the exclusion schemes run by each operator the central scheme has helped over 5,000 people as they seek to manage their gambling habits.“Research we commissioned showed that the vast majority of those surveyed had succeeded in staying away from betting shops with 71% making no attempt to play and 80% saying the scheme had reduced or totally stopped their gambling.“These schemes do not work for everyone. The reality is that those with a desperate need to gamble may find a way. But we must not let the past behaviour of one business undermine the value of self-exclusion as a tool in managing the risk of and harm from problem gambling.” 888 integrates Golden Race virtuals in new partnership April 22, 2020 BGC takes over The Senet Group’s duties and responsibilities April 6, 2020last_img read more

Star Power… BetHard confirms Zlatan Ibrahimović as global brand ambassador

first_img Submit StumbleUpon Related Articles Share Share Malta-based online gambling operator BetHard Group has confirmed the appointment of Zlatan Ibrahimović as Brand Ambassador for its flagship BetHard.com sportsbook.Confirming the appointment of Ibrahimović, who is considered one of global football’s most recognisable stars, Erik Skarp, co-founder and CEO of Bethard Group stated that the Swedish icon would play a key role in the brand development and vision of BetHard’s enterprise.“This move marks the starting signal for us. We have taken a bold decision to start building next-generation sports betting brand and we are of course super excited to welcome Zlatan on-board.””Through the agreement, we will not only have an outstanding brand ambassador, but also a very engaged co-owner who I know will push us relentlessly forward”. Skarp commented.Nevertheless, BetHard’s appointment of Ibrahimović has caused controversy in English football, as the operator had secured its new brand ambassador whilst he was a registered player of Manchester United.English FA rules prohibit active players and syndicated club personnel (coaches, managers, employees, etc) from promoting, consulting or being associated with betting enterprises.This week, Ibrahimović announced that he had terminated his contract with Manchester United, choosing to leave European football by joining the MLS (US Soccer) franchise of the LA Galaxy.It is unknown whether the FA will pursue its investigation of Ibrahimović’s association with BetHard, with the player having departed English football.Today BetHard released its first marketing campaign ‘Be Soft – BetHard’ featuring Ibrahimović.”I have obviously been intensively courted by betting companies throughout my career, but up until now I have not been presented to anything that has triggered me”, said Zlatan Ibrahimovic on his promotion of BetHard.”With Bethard, there was something different. It’s a company with Swedish roots, the founders are from my hometown and they are true challengers who really wants to do things differently”.BetHard – Zlatan Ibrahimović ‘Be Soft – BetHard’ Dan Towse: Marathonbet – Trust fading as brands turn to influencers November 21, 2019 Bethard exits UK online gambling scene  June 17, 2020 SBTech confident of resuming full client operations following cyberattack March 31, 2020last_img read more

Lars Kollind lands newly-created B2B role at Global Gaming

first_img Related Articles With the aim of spearheading the organisation’s future B2B offering and bolstering its growth objectives, Lars Kollind has been appointed to the newly created role of Head of B2B at Global Gaming. Kollind, who will be based at Global Gaming’s Malta Office in Sliema, previously enjoyed a successful career as Sales Director for B2B at Aspire Global and joins during a new and exciting chapter in Global Gaming’s history.Some of the company’s successful brands including Netticasino and Vikingslots operate on the Aspire Global platform, meaning that Kollind has already gained a thorough understanding of Global Gaming’s offering. Commenting on his new role, Kollind stated: “I could not think of a better time to join Global Gaming, as the organisation seeks to grow, it seems natural to add a new vertical in the B2B product.“Drawing from the success story that is NinjaCasino.com, our goal is to keep on focussing on innovation and enhancing the user experience. As a consequence, our B2B product focus will be on differentiation in the form of experience customisation, leveraging my experience in the field, as we seek to attract high-profile partners and white label casinos.”His appointment closely follows a recent wave of key appointments in Global Gaming’s Product Team, including several ex- GiG talents.Global Gaming Chief Product Officer and MD Malta, Mark Wadsworth, added: “Lars joins us to take complete business ownership and development of our B2B offering. His experience and knowledge of the B2B marketplace is invaluable as we continue to put in place the foundations for continued growth of Global Gaming.” Share Submit Aspire Global appoints figurehead Kärrbrink as Pariplay Chairman March 4, 2020 Share Global Gaming granted licence review permit following Swedish appeal January 9, 2020 Spelinspektionen rejects Ninja Casino domain transfer February 12, 2020 StumbleUponlast_img read more